Sunday, 16 October 2016

Rationale

The song I chose was Shake It Out by Florence + The Machine. My interpretation of the song was that it's about having a lot of regrets and being haunted by them (the song uses a devil as a metaphor) and over the course of the song, learning to let go and embrace them. I decided to base my story around someone who does a deal with a faery ('the devil') and is haunted by that (regrets), but then lets them go and goes to dance with the faeries. But because it is non linear, it could be read in any way, for example: human dances with the faeries, regrets it, then makes a bargain with one of them to overcome the regrets.
I presented the three sections each in a separate book, with a blank cover so that the viewer doesn't know which one to open first. In order to make it even more random, I also drew an image in the back cover of the book - the same scene from a different viewpoint. The old book format also links to the subject matter of faeries - fairytales are old stories. I used pen and ink to draw the compositions of dark creepy forests, because the song is dark.
The layers of the cut pages, and curved trees create a focal point around the human character, as well as rhythm and movement - as if the forest is alive. The antlers and clothing of the faery echo the forest to show that he is part of it (or possibly he controls it).


No comments:

Post a Comment